Cultural Communication Training for Law Enforcement Officers
Module 1 (Group of 12 or less in attendance)
Training: 2 hours (could run longer if participants need more time)
- Define effective communication
- Discuss why differences are important
- Talk about the commonalities
- What is the positive outcome of learning to communicate with different cultures
- "Cultural Hearing"...what does this mean?
- What did you say? What was actually heard? (role play)
- How different cultures analyze words
- Different people, different voice (discussion) ex. victim, perpetrator, defensive, polite
- Past, present, future (How does history play into the method of communicating)
- Words: Anger, Fear, Distrust, Ignorance, Control, Failure, Respect, Dangerous, Power
- Discuss how these words play a role in the ablity to communicate, and build relationships
- How does listening promote stronger verbal skills
- What is your hot button word? Why? When did you first hear this word?
- Discussion of words or actions that can escalate an encounter
- Your role in deflating a hostile situation
- Do you know how to use words to gain control?
- What happens when you leave the workplace?
- Are you ever off the job...unguarded? Is your hot button only on the job?
- Discuss take-away points
- What are the new tools?